Instructions on how to obtain a work permit during school closure
Students need to secure a job before obtaining a work permit
A work permit is a legal document required by the state of California that allows a person under 18 years of age to hold a job. You must have good attendance and be academically eligible (2.0 GPA or Higher).
Follow these steps in obtaining a work permit:
Students will print out the Form B1-1 Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit-Certificate of Age.
- Students will complete Minor’s Information and School Information.
- Parent or legal guardians must sign their portion of the form.
- Students must take Form B1-1 to their employer – the employer must complete and sign the employer section.
- Students must scan and email completed Form B1-1 with all signatures to their counselor, either Dana Blood, email@example.com, Jody Bolde, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the counseling assistant Sharon Silva, email@example.com. If a student does not have a scanner, download a scanner app such as Simple Scanner from their phone’s app store, take a photo of the completed document and email this document to the appropriate email.
- Students must print the Permit to Employ and Work (Form B1-4), sign and date the “minor’s signature” section, then scan and email completed Permit to Employ and Work (Form B1-4) to their counselor or counseling assistant. This step must be completed in order for work permit to be active. If a student does not have a scanner, download a scanner app such as Simple Scanner from their phone’s app store, take a photo of the completed document and email this document to the appropriate email.
- Once the Permit to Employ and Work (Form B1-4) is received with student’s signature and date, it will be signed by an authorizing person and emailed back to the student.
- Student must take the completed Permit to Employ and Work (Form B1-4) back to their employer.
- Students must leave completed B1-4 with their employer to be added to their personnel file.
- Work Permit Applications must be signed by the employer.
- A parent or guardian must also sign the application.
- The student’s social security number is required to process a work permit
- Student ID will be verified through district records.
- The completed “official” work permit is signed by the student and the school authorizer.
- Each new job requires a new work permit.
- Minimum 2.0 GPA required for a work permit and no F’s last Quarter.